According to Raffini (1993), most young children are full of curiosity and have a strong desire to explore the environment. "Rarely does one hear parents complain that their pre-schooler is unmotivated" (Raffini, 1993, para.1).Unfortunately, as children age, some of that enthusiasm for learning can be lost. According to the Clearinghouse on Educational Management (2010), learning may become more of a drudgery than a delight. "A large number of students leave school before graduating and many more are physically present in the classroom, but they are mentally absent; they fail to invest themselves fully in the process of learning" (Clearinghouse on Educational Management, 2010, para. 2).
Although there is no magic formula for motivating students to acheive, there are strategies that may nurture the motivation to learn. For ideas, click here
It's kind of an interesting and encouraging thing that we have at our disposal so very many ways to help our students rediscover the excitement of learning, yet how much actually reaches a classroom or the kitchen table? And out of what does get inside the classroom or the family home, how much is translated into active use instead of passive ideology? Maybe we should also consider applying a few tweeks to these same great ideas to help our teachers in the home and in the schools to be excited about teaching . . . good stuff.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for this information. I work with a lot of fourth and fifth graders who definitely suffer from lack of motivation. It's a shame that it happens so quickly but I think I am now better prepared to help them!
ReplyDeleteWhat great thoughts! I think it is very important for students to be motivated. Although I think ultimately it is best if students are responding to intrinsic motivation, I think, particularly while students are younger, some extrinsic motivation can keep students excited about learning.
ReplyDeleteThis is SO true! At the beginning of a new school semester I am always excited and eager to learn but by mid terms I am burnt out. I wish I had a solution!
ReplyDeleteThese are some really good suggestions. I am going to start home schooling my kids starting in the Fall so I liked the different ways to help keep them excited and eager about learning.
ReplyDeleteThis is very interesting. Most students seem to do as little as they can to get by. Their end goal is the grade or the degree, rather than learning for the sake of learning. They graduate and enter the workforce unprepared for the challenges they will face there.
ReplyDeleteThanks, guys! I got an A! :)
ReplyDelete